Friday 16 October 2009

Topology

Now for the topology . Topology is the flow of surfaces over an object. I used the image of a image where it shows a mans muscles to guide me as this is how my topology lines should go








This helped me to see the flow of the muscles.



I then created a new layer , used a bright colour , 3 brush size., and drew in all creases on the face, the nose, eyes ,mouth and cheeks. I broke up the face into key areas using the muscles as a guide e.g around the eyes, around the mouth, cheek bones etc, these should all run smoothly to each other. These were my guidelines.




Now choose a new colour zoom in and have a smaller brush size and start tracing lines and placing quads. By drawing quads to mark out the topology this will make it much easier when creating it in 3dMax, Triangles shouldn't be used if possible as when I create it they will create a pinching affect instead of a smooth surface which can be manipulated in 4 ways. Firstly when making the quads I placed quads around the nose and eyes which gives flexibility later on when modelling for expression. I followed the image above as guidelines to how the quads should all flow, I want the muscles in the picture to be able to move.


Around the mouth is an important part, if I were to animate my character for the mouth to move I would need a lot of quads to be able to give it flexibility.The smile line on the mouth is important so dimples can be added or puffy cheeks.

I then had to do the same to the side view. This view did have less guide lines then the front view however the more reference points on the side the better.




No comments:

Post a Comment